A traveller family have been banned from setting up unauthorised camps in Sandwell after persistently ‘causing misery for residents’ - including reportedly leaving human excrement in a park.
Fourteen members of the Cassidy family have been forbidden from setting up unauthorised encampments on 17 Sandwell Council-owned sites including parks, playing fields and open spaces, after a ruling by a High Court judge in Birmingham.
The injunction also bans head of the family John Cassidy from the whole of Sandwell, while the rest of his family are prohibited from fly-tipping and causing damage to barriers.
The court heard how the Cassidy family had caused anti-social behaviour including assaults, large scale disorder, threats, intimidation and criminal damage on 25 sites between June 2014 and August 2016- costing the council £250,000.
The group, along with up to 40+ caravans and vehicles, had caused an 'extreme amount of fly-tipping including leaving human waste and piles of rubbish on sites across Sandwell.'
Judge McKenna granted the injunction based on substantial evidence submitted by Sandwell council and West Midlands Police.
Sandwell Council Leader Councillor Steve Eling said:
Sandwell Council’s cabinet member for regeneration and investment Councillor Paul Moore added
West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson added:
If any of the Cassidy family breach the order it will be contempt of court, and they could face two years in jail, a fine or have their assets seized.
17 sites are named in the injunction including:
- Kent Road Open Space, Friar Park, Wednesbury
- Millenium Park, Friar Park Road, Wednesbury
- Sandy Lane Open Space, Friar Park, Wednesbury
- Blakeley Wood Road, Tipton
- Land off Dartmouth Street, Greets Green, West Bromwich
- Shaftesbury House car park, High Street, West Bromwich
- Churchfields Playing Fields, Newton Road, West Bromwich
- Wyntor Lane Open Space, West Bromwich
- Crookhay Lane / Chester Road Open Space, West Bromwich
- Meadow Avenue Open Space, West Bromwich
- Greets Green Recreational Ground, Claypit Lane, West Bromwich
- Ridgacre Industrial Estate, Ridgacre Road, West Bromwich
- Lion Farm Playing Fields, Newbury Lane, Oldbury
- West Smethwick Park, Victoria Road, Smethwick