Man dies after fire caused by firework in his home

A man from Birmingham injured in a fire caused by a firework at his home in Tile Cross has died in hospital. The 56-year-old has been named as Anthony Nicholls.

Mr Nicholls had been in an induced coma since the fire in Birchtrees Drive in Tile Cross just after 11pm on Thursday.

He did not regain consciousness and died in the early hours of this morning.

His partner, a 50-year-old woman, escaped with fractures to her lower limbs after jumping from a first floor window. She remains in hospital.

The fire started after a large commercial sized firework was placed in the property and set alight. It is thought to have contained around 200 tubes of explosives and would have taken around two minutes to fully discharge. The property caught alight quickly and gutted the open plan living accommodation.