1. ITV Report

Woman in intense pain left to lie on hospital floor for five hours

A woman who was left lying on a hospital floor for five hours in agony due to a bed shortage has spoken about the “horrific” experience for the first time on TV.

Kyra Dew, 22, told ITV News how she was rushed to A&E after she collapsed on the floor at home in excruciating pain as she suffers from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Her mother, Sandra, drove her to Hereford County Hospital last week where she was given oral morphine in A&E to help with the pain.

Kyra was then told there were no beds available, so decided to make a bed on the floor, using a coat for a pillow. Staff gave her a hospital blanket.

Sandra said that a bed was only made available when a photo of Kyra curled up on the floor was shared on a local website.

Kyra was left to life on the hospital floor for five hours Credit: Sandra Dew

Kyra said the whole experience was awful:

I was telling my mum I wanted to die, I’d had enough. It had got to the point where I was thinking of ways I could just end my life. I was ready to go at that point.

It’s horrible to be in pain and have people talk about you and have to witness it, especially when there’s young kids coming in and out as well, they don’t want to see that, I don’t want them to see that.

– Kyra Dew

Sandra said it was upsetting to see her daughter in that situation:

She’s a grown woman but that’s still your baby and there was nothing I could do.

I could’ve gone and screamed and shouted but that wouldn’t have got you anywhere. I was just sat there really worrying about her.

I don’t want my daughter to be on the floor, she shouldn’t need to be on the floor, it’s not hygenic.

– Sandra Dew, mother
Kyra was given a bed after a five hour wait Credit: Sandra Dew

In response, Director of Nursing at Hereford County Hospital, Lucy Flanagan, said:

We regret that Kyra was in the waiting room and was more comfortable not sitting on one of the available seats. She was given pain relief within half an hour of her arrival and was found a bed two hours later.

We apologised to Kyra at the time and staff did all they could to ensure she received the best possible care.

The Emergency Department was very busy on that day with 142 total attendances, many of these were complex cases, and patients were assessed and treated as quickly as possible, according to their clinical need.

Unfortunately, this meant that Kyra waited around two and a half hours before being moved to a ward where a bed was available, which is within the gout-hour national target.

Like many other hospitals across the country, with more patients requiring care and treatment than ever before, there are times when increased demand is affecting our urgent and planned care services, and bed availability.

We have implemented a number of additional measures to assist the Trust in managing these increases in demand more effectively, which include, extra Emergency Department staff including GPs who are now available in the department on most days, developing an emergency surgical assessment area and moving more of our most senior doctors into the emergency department to assess patients more quickly.

Building work is also currently underway to increase the capacity of our Emergency Department to further improve how quickly we are able to see and treat patients attending the department - this is set to open in spring this year.

– Lucy Flanagan