The City of Wolverhampton Council has closed the Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa until further notice after legionella bacteria was found in water samples.
The Grade II listed 4-star hotel, which has 74 guest rooms, has been told it cannot use its hot and water taps until an inspection is carried out.
Legionella organisms are commonly found within water in the natural environment but elevated levels of the bacteria in a water supply can increase the risk of contracting Legionnaires’ disease.
Symptoms can include high fever, chills, muscle pains and sometimes diarrhoea and mental confusion.
In extreme cases, the disease can be fatal.
Although Legionnaires’ disease is rare and we are not currently aware of any cases in this instance, it’s important that we take the right precautions to prevent the risk of anyone falling ill.
The City Council says anyone with bookings at the hotel should contact the hotel directly.