Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Son sues resort company after mum died trying to scratch her way out of airing cupboard

Elizabeth Isherwood fought for several hours to free herself after she became trapped in an airing cupboard.

A grieving son is suing a resort company after his mother died from hypothermia when she became trapped in an airing cupboard at her holiday apartment.

Former policewoman Elizabeth Isherwood fought for several hours to free herself after a door handle malfunctioned, locking her in the cupboard in the middle of the night.

She scratched and clawed through brickwork and plaster trying to escape, using a pipe she had broken as a chisel to try cut through the walls.

But water spraying from the other end of the broken pipe drenched her as she battled to escape, accelerating the hypothermia.

Now her son Craig Isherwood, 33, says he is seeking compensation from holiday resort owners Macdonald Resorts over the tragedy.

Mrs Isherwood became trapped on the first night of her one-week stay.

Mrs Isherwood, 60, from Wolverhampton, became trapped on the first night of her one-week stay at the Plas Talgarth holiday complex near Machynlleth in Wales in September 2017.

An inquest heard the part-time care worker had got up in the middle of the night and became trapped in the cupboard in the en-suite bathroom.

As she tried to get out, the door handle disintegrated, and she became trapped.

Her body was found by staff at the end of the week.

Mr Isherwood, from Palmers Cross in Wolverhampton, alleges that Macdonald Resorts was negligent in failing to check whether the door handle was working properly.

He says any compensation money will be given to his children.

Mr Isherwood says he wants to prevent any other family going through the same ordeal.

My mother died in the most terrible circumstances you could imagine. We think she had been trying to escape for several hours. We believe she died that night or the following day.

Tragically, she had made a hole big enough to climb through, but did not realise her way out was only blocked by a picture screwed to the other side of the wall.

A couple in a neighbouring apartment heard banging and thought they would report it if it went on after 5pm. Sadly, my mother gave up her attempt at five past five so they assumed it had been maintenance workers who had finished for the day.

Mum was fit and healthy and had years of a very happy life ahead of her. I just want the company to admit that they made a mistake in not checking the door properly and make sure that this cannot happen to anyone else.

– Craig Isherwood

Macdonald Resorts say they cannot comment at this stage.