Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Dog nearly dies after eating plate of mince pies

  • Raisins, sultanas and currants can cause kidney failure in dogs, so pet owners must keep them out of reach.
  • Mickey had to have his stomach pumped after eating a whole plate of mince pies.
  • Vets say the sooner animals are treated after eating dangerous foods, the better.
Credit: BPM Media

One-year-old Belgian Shepherd Mickey was poisoned after eating a plate of mince pies.

His owner, Pauline Warren, from Swadlincote, Derbyshire, didn't realise how dangerous the ingredients could be for dogs.

I knew mince pies, chocolate and Christmas cake are bad for dogs but I didn’t know just how bad mince pies are.

Once I Googled it, I realised how serious it was. I spoke to a vet who said to bring Mickey in straight away, even though he wasn’t yet showing signs of illness.

– Pauline Warren, owner

Mickey spent the first weekend of December in the care of vets.

They made him vomit to get rid of any residual mince pie in his stomach.

Credit: BPM Media

Raisins and currants can can be deadly for dogs, potentially causing kidney failure.

Mickey was fed meals containing charcoal to prevent any absorption of toxins into his system.

After 48 hours of fluids, a blood test revealed his kidneys were functioning normally and Mickey was able to go home.

Mickey was one of four dogs treated this weekend for eating something toxic and sadly this is something we see a lot of at this time of year and other holiday times.

Mickey was given intravenous fluids as raisins, sultanas and currants can cause kidney failure.

We take the ingestion of any toxic ingredients very seriously and in the case of raisins and currants where the method of how they can cause such detrimental effect on the kidneys is not understood, we advise treatment if even the smallest amount has been eaten.

– Debs Smith, Pride Veterinary Centre
Credit: Peer Meinert/DPA/PA Images

Dangerous food and substances for dogs:

  • Chocolate
  • Mince pies (containing raisins, sultanas and currants)
  • Christmas cake (containing raisins, sultanas and currants)
  • Alcohol
  • Turkey, chicken, goose (or other meat)
  • Bones (they can easily splinter and cause obstructions or penetrate your pet’s stomach)
  • Anti-freeze
  • Holly, Mistletoe, Poinsettia and Ivy

Source: Pride Veterinary Centre