Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

14-year-old boy from Nottingham hit by car and stabbed to death in London

The 14-year-old has been named as Jayden Moodie Credit: Metropolitan Police

A 14-year-old boy from Nottingham has died in a targeted attack, after three men rammed a car into his moped then stabbed him multiple times in London.

The schoolboy was murdered in an area notorious for drug dealing and blighted by so-called county lines gangs that are known to exploit children.

He has been named as Jayden Moodie, and he lived in the area with his mother.

His uncle told ITV News that he only moved to the capital from Arnold, six months ago 'for a better life.'

A family friend, who gave his name as Solomon, said the teenager, a talented boxer, was a "wonderful" and "loving" child.

Forensic investigators at the scene in Leyton, Waltham Forest. Credit: PA Images

The teenager was rammed off a moped by a black Mercedes at around 6.30pm on Tuesday in Bickley Road, Leyton, east London.

He was then stabbed several times by three attackers as he lay unconscious in the road.

Detective Chief Inspector Larry Smith, from the Metropolitan Police murder squad, said: "Everything that we have learned about this attack so far indicates it was targeted and intent on lethal force from the outset.

"We are doing everything we can to catch those who carried out this cowardly attack and bring them to justice."

Police patrols were stepped up in the wake of the murder, as locals described moped gangs and drug dealers operating in the area.

Jayden's godmother Zoe Grant, who lives in Nottinghamshire, paid tribute to the 14-year-old:

He was full of life, fun loving and a ray of sunshine.

He was a beautiful boy, so intelligent, had everything to live for.> He went to London and then this happens - it's just so unfair.

He was very dearly loved by everybody.< Jayden was a good kid. 14 is no life - it's not fair.

– Jayden's godmother Zoe Grant
Flowers have been left at the scene on Bickley Road. Credit: PA Images

Detective chief superintendent Richard Tucker told reporters he could not sleep overnight thinking about what had happened to the young boy.

He said of the boy's age: "I think that will strike a chord with so many people and so many parents across the UK."

"Everyone is shocked and appalled by this murder. The age of the victim, a boy aged 14, beggars belief and I completely understand the alarm and concern it has raised from those who live and work in the area."

Investigators are trying to trace the black Mercedes B Class involved in the crash, that is believed to have extensive damage to the front, and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.