Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Warning after family's sixth cat in five years dies from antifreeze poisoning

Peter and Tami Jenkins are warning others to watch out for possible antifreeze poisoning Credit: RSPCA

A family in Staffordshire is warning pet owners in their area to be aware after their sixth cat died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in five years.

Peter Jenkins, from Burntwood, says the latest incident saw his one-year-old cat, Button, come back home looking lethargic.

He was taken to the vets where he couldn't be saved, and was put down.

Peter and his wife Tami's first pet cat to die of suspected antifreeze poisoning was Tommy, who died on November 24, 2014 aged nine.

This was followed by Fudge who died on December 29, 2014 aged 14, then Alfie who died on August 7, 2015 aged 11.

Ava died on 3 July 2016, and her twin sister Maxi died a few weeks later, both aged just 11 months. Button died on 17 November.

Button died after suspected antifreeze poisoning Credit: RSPCA

The couple both still own cats, as well as a number of other animals - many of which they have rescued. And the RSPCA is backing their appeal to warn others what appears to be happening.

We are just devastated that this keeps happening. We love having cats and find it so worrying that this has happened time and time again.We have lived here for 15 years - and had no issues until five years ago. Sometimes it makes you wonder if someone in the area has got something against cats in general.It is so upsetting when your pet comes to you and in obvious pain but there is nothing that can be done to save them.I just want to warn other cat owners in the area to be aware of this and keep an eye on their own pets. Also I want people in the area to check that they haven’t left any antifreeze around which cats would be able to get to. We don’t want anyone else going through what we have.

– Peter Jenkins

The RSPCA is backing the warning, and has provided advice to pet owners.

As there have been suspected antifreeze poisonings in the area we would urge all cat-owners to keep a close eye on their pets and their behaviour and if they suspect they have been poisoned we would advise they seek immediate veterinary attention.We would also ask people who are using antifreeze to make sure they are extremely careful in their storage of it and how they dispose of it.

– Kate Levesley, RSPCA

The charity says signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after ingestion to two or three days.

This can include some, or all of the following symptoms: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

It is also a criminal offence under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to administer poison, dangerous drugs or substances to an animal; and under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it is a criminal offence to allow a cat to suffer unnecessarily.