A court has heard how a three-year-old boy burned in an acid attack, allegedly plotted by his father, screamed "I hurt" over and over again.

The child who can't be identified for legal reasons suffered serious burns to his face and arm in the attack at Home Bargains in Worcester on July 21 2018.

His 40 year old father is charged with conspiring to unlawfully or maliciously cast or throw sulphuric acid on or at the boy with intent to burn, maim, disfigure or disable him or do grievous bodily harm.

Jonathan Rees, prosecuting, told Worcester Crown Court that the man, upset by his wife walking out on him and taking the children, 'enlisted others' to attack the little boy in the hope of winning more contact with him.

We say the evidence suggests that in an effort to ensure his application was successful, he was willing to manufacture evidence of injuries to his children in an attempt to show that his wife was unable to care for them - in other words she was an unfit mother.

Jonathan Rees, prosecutor

Facing the same charge as the father are Adam Cech, 27, of Farnham Road, Birmingham; Jan Dudi, 25, of Cranbrook Road, Birmingham; Norbert Pulko, 22, of Sutherland Road,London; Martina Badiova, 22, of Newcombe Road, Handsworth, Birmingham; SaiedHussini, 42, of Wrottesley Road, London; and Jabar Paktia, 42, of NewhamptonRoad, Wolverhampton. They and the father all deny the allegations.

Today as Mr Rees continued his opening, jurors were shown footage of the incident that was caught on the Home Bargains CCTV cameras.

They heard that the mother of the boy had driven to the shop with her children to buy a party gift.

Explaining the CCTV, Mr Rees told the jury, that both youngsters were gazing at a brightly coloured display of plastic footballs when, a man in a white T shirt identified without dispute in court as Cech, walks past the victim with his arm extended and an object in his hand.

"What you have just seen is that person in a white T-shirt - you can just catch the moment where the arm is extended. That really is the hub of this case. That is the acid attack. It is over in a split second.

Jonathan Rees, prosecuting

He was shouting and crying and ran towards his mother holding his left arm. He showed his mother his arm but, at first, she could not see anything.

Jonathan Rees, prosecuting

The boy suffered a 10cm burn to his left forearm, and a 3cm burn on his forehead, which needed specialist hospital treatment.

He has since made "a good recovery". The case continues.