Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Deer dies in park after getting stuck in plastic bag

Credit: BPM Media

A deer has died after getting stuck in a plastic bag in a park.

A young buck became disorientated and was slowly strangled by the discarded rubbish at Bradgate Park in Leicestershire.

A wildlife boss has now issued a desperate plea for people to stop littering.

Peter Tyldesley, the park's director, said the animal severely injured itself trying to jump a wall “in blind panic” and was left with injuries too severe to survive.

Mr Tyldesley issued a fresh plea to visitors urging them to take their litter home, rather than leave the deer and other wildlife to suffer the consequences.

Last year, a distressed adult male deer shot after pestering people for food - having become accustomed to being fed rather than grazing for itself - was found to have swallowed plastic bags and wet wipes and all sorts of other litter.

Credit: BPM Media

Mr Tyldesley said: “Today we have had to put down a young buck that got entangled in a carelessly discarded carrier bag.

“This was covering its face & strangling it, plus injured jumping a wall in blind panic. We could not approach the wild animal to remove, plus injuries too severe. Take litter home000.

“It was a young buck, between 18 months and two years old, one of last year’s young.

“It ended up in Bowling Green Spinney behind the ruins of Bradgate House.

“Several members of the public who saw it wandering around distressed notified us.

"It was in a blind panic and tried to jump over a wall, badly injuring itself.

“They are wild animals you can’t just approach them and gently remove the bag from its head.

“An animal has suffered unnecessarily and ended up dead when it didn’t need to.

"Our message to people is to take your litter home.

“If you can’t do that there are bins on the park. Discarding litter like this is potentially dangerous to all wildlife, not just deer.

"Last year another deer had a bag round its antlers but managed to shake that off. Discarding this kind of litter is potentially lethal.”

Mr Tyldesley also repeated a plea urging people not to feed the deer.

As the better weather approaches, he has also warned people about the dangers from barbecues.

Mr Tyldesley said: “When people feed young deer, they think it’s cute, but it’s different when they grow up and become a bit bigger and a bit more menacing and regard visitors as a source of food.”

“A couple of weeks ago when we had some good weather, someone had a barbecue in the park, which is not allowed.

“It started a fire which destroyed quite a large area of bracken, unnecessarily diverting the resources of the fire service.

“Most people are generally responsible and it’s a small minority causing the problems.”