Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Unattended candle destroys Leicester home

A home has been gutted after an unattended candle caused a fire at a house in Leicester Credit: BPM

A home has been gutted after an unattended candle caused a fire at a house in Leicester.

A young woman living in the ground floor flat in Okehampton Avenue, Evington, Leicester, fled her home but suffered from smoke inhalation and required medical attention after the fire, which started in the porch of her flat, where the candle had been left burning overnight.

Flames leapt from the windows of the property, scorching the outside of the property as the woman’s next door neighbours threw buckets of water over the fire in an attempt to stop it spreading.

The fire broke out at around 5:30am Credit: BPM

The emergency services arrived and two firefighters wearing breathing tanks entered the building and put out the blaze.

The fire began at 5.30am this morning, just nine hours after another blaze in the city caused by an unattended candle.

Neighbours attempted to extinguish the flames with buckets of water Credit: BPM

“We woke up and looked out of the window and saw the fire. I rushed out with buckets of water but it was growing quickly into a big fire. There’s a young lady who lives in the house and she was safely out but was obviously in shock. When the firefighters got here they managed to put it out but it’s caused a lot of damage.”

– Jan Balaz, Neighbour

Ben Bee, group manager for Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "In Okehampton Avenue a candle had been left burning overnight in the porch area of the home and the fire caused quite extensive damage and the occupant was treated for smoke inhalation and handed on to East Midlands Ambulance Service."

"We advise people never to leave candles unattended. Candles should not be placed on anything that might burn or heat up and you should also be very aware of anything above the candle that might catch fire."

– Ben Bee, Leicestershire Fire & Rescue Service