1. ITV Report

Police name man who died after being detained by members of the public

Credit: BPM Media

Police have named the man who died in hospital after being detained in a Stoke-on-Trent street by members of the public.

Christopher Walters, aged 25, from Bentilee, was rushed to the Royal Stoke University Hospital last week following an incident in Wood Street, Longton.

Officers had initially been called to the scene at around 2.30pm on May 15 following reports a man had been spotted wielding a hammer and allegedly damaging vehicles.

A post-mortem took place on Friday, however the results were inconclusive and further tests will be required.

A cause of death is not expected to be established for a further three to six months.

Three Stoke-on-Trent men, aged 20, 30 and 49, were arrested in connection with the incident and they have now been released under investigation, pending further inquiries.

Detective Inspector Alan Lyford, senior investigating officer for Staffordshire Police, said: "Our thoughts are with Christopher's family at this time and specially trained officers are providing specialist support.

"We believe this was an isolated incident, but we are continuing to appeal for anyone who was in the area at the time or who witnessed the incident to call 101 quoting incident number 395 of May 15.

Credit: BPM Media

"Alternatively, for guaranteed anonymity, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

This matter is also being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

An IOPC spokesman said: "We have started an investigation into Staffordshire Police's contact with a man who died after he was detained in Longton on May 15.

"We understand the man had already been detained by members of the public when police arrived at the scene at around 3.30pm following a report of criminal damage.

"An ambulance was called after the man became unresponsive and sadly death was pronounced a short time later.

"After we were notified by the force we sent investigators to the scene and the police post-incident procedure to being gathering information. We have since declared an independent investigation."