1. ITV Report

Two girls spared jail despite teaming up to attack 'frightened' student

Mariam Moustafa suffered a stroke shortly after the attack and died a month later. Credit: BPM Media

Two "violent"girl gang members have been spared jail despite teaming up to repeatedly punch a frightened Egyptian student who later died.

Mariam Moustafa suffered a stroke 10 hours after the incident in Nottingham on 20 February and died almost a month later on 14 March.

Mariah Fraser, 20, Britania Hunter, 18, and a 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named, were part of a "pack" of girls who confronted the 18-year-old victim in a violent episode "fuelled by social media".

Fraser was ordered to spend eight months in a young offenders' institution for her part in the attack, after a catalogue of her previous convictions were read to the court, including robbery, attempted robbery and assaulting a police officer.

Hunter was given a 12-month community order and told to carry out 40 hours unpaid work, and the 16-year-old girl was remitted back to youth court with a view to a referral order.

Despite branding the defendants "aggressive" and"cowardly", the sentencing judge at Nottingham Crown Court decided not to send them to prison, saying:

The family of Mariam want the maximum possible sentence to be imposed on all those involved in the case.

Sympathy for their desperate sadness cannot displace a proper, dispassionate approach to sentencing in a court of law.

– Sentencing judge at Nottingham Crown Court

Mariam was punched several times during the attack near a bus stop in Parliament Street, Nottingham, at 8pm, while her friend Pablo Jawara tried to protect her.

Six attackers were charged after the incident, including three other teenagers aged 18, 17 and 16, who will be sentenced later this month.

Fraser, Hunter and the 16-year-old girl all admitted affray a week before their trial.

Opening the facts of the case on Thursday, prosecutor Luke Blackburn said the six defendants were not charged with manslaughter because pathologists could not "legally link" the attack and her death.

The court heard how two of the six, the 16-year-old girl and an 18-year-old who will be sentenced later this month, were the main aggressors in the altercation, while the others were either filming the incident or laughing while watching events unfold.

Three other teenagers, aged 18, 17 and 16, will be sentenced at Nottingham Youth Court on 19 June alongside the 16-year-old girl.