HS2 has revealed designs for its new people mover at the first of a series of events to share designs with the public, and explain the role that the mover will play.
HS2 says the people mover will provide a fast and frequent transport connection between HS2’s new Interchange Station in Solihull, through to Birmingham Airport in just six minutes.
When fully operational, the people mover will carry up to 2,100 passengers per hour in each direction.
HS2 has been working closely with the Urban Growth Company in Solihull to include extra design elements which will support wider growth plans at the UK Central Hub. This includes modifying the alignment of the people mover as part of a major redevelopment at Birmingham International Station to create a new, multi-modal transport exchange.
About the Automated People Mover:
- Services every three minutes
- Interchange to Birmingham airport in six minutes
- 2.3km long route – from Interchange to Birmingham Airport
- Approximately 20m long vehicles
- Capable of carrying 2,100 passengers per hour in each direction
- Travel on a viaduct for entire route – 12m off the ground at its highest point
- The approximately 20m long people mover vehicles will depart from each stop approximately every three minutes. They will pick up passengers from Interchange