A family say they're upset after their 88-year-old mother, who has dementia, was left on a hospital trolley for six hours, after allegedly being denied access to a GP.

Samantha Tuck, 54, from Nuthall in Nottinghamshire, said she was concerned about her mum, Jill Woolley, when she had a "terrible reaction" to tablets she was prescribed for anxiety.

Jill, who was a medical doctor's secretary before she retired, was diagnosed with dementia this June.

Samantha said she contacted Bilborough Medical Centre on Monday, November 4, at 9.30am.

She told the practice her mum was too unwell to attend and was offered either a GP visit or a phone conversation with a doctor.

At 2pm, Jill was falling "in and out of consciousness" and so Samantha called her GP practice for advice.

They urged her to call for an ambulance, which she did, and paramedics arrived at the home.

They checked her pulse, heart and blood pressure but said Jill still needed to see a doctor immediately.

When the practice was called again, the family were informed there was no doctor available and she had go to the A&E department at the Queen's Medical Centre instead, and an ambulance then took her.

Credit: BPM Media

They originally said they would get a GP to come and see her or phone her and none of that happened. They just said 'it's still on our system.'" "We couldn't get her to the surgery because she couldn't walk." "I feel hurt and upset and like she has been neglected." "She is lucky because she has me to defend her - what about all the other people out there that are just left alone?" "All we wanted was for a doctor or nurse to check her vitals over but we had to call paramedics and then she had to go through the trauma of lying on a trolley in the A&E department for six hours." "Just because of the tablets her doctor prescribed her." "A GP or nurse could have dealt with her. It was a waste of the paramedics' resources because they were here for over an hour." "She was just a name on the screen and no one was doing anything about it. The elderly are treated so poorly."

Samantha Tuck

Samantha said her mum was diagnosed with a mild urinary infection - and it was later found she should not have been prescribed this medication.

A spokeswoman for Nottingham City GP Alliance (NCGPA), who manages Bilborough Medical Centre, said: "NCGPA have managed Bilborough Medical Centre since April 2019 and take patient feedback extremely seriously."

"Our practice team are liaising with the family directly and are providing support."

Nottingham University Hospitals Trust, which runs the Queen's Medical Centre, have apologised to Jill Woolley.

"A significant increase in the number of very poorly patients needing emergency care has meant that our services are under considerable pressure." "I would like to apologise to Ms Woolley and her family for their wait in ED, and to any patient who has had to wait longer for their care than we would ideally like as a result of the very sick patients we have been treating." "Staff are working really hard to manage the current pressures and ensure that patients are cared for safely." "We are working with primary and community colleagues so that only patients that need to come to hospital [do]."

Lisa Kelly, chief operating officer of Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Read more: