Worcester student spends 21st birthday fighting for his life after collapsing at home with deadly meningitis

A student in Worcester has told of the dramatic moment he was rushed to hospital with bacterial meningitis after being found collapsed in the hallway of his home.

Matthew Griffin, of Stourport-on-Severn, thought he had food poisoning or the flu when he began to feel "cold" and "shivery" at work, the day before his 21st birthday.

He returned home early when he developed a headache and started vomiting.

His symptoms worsened overnight and the next day his dad Mark found him collapsed in the hallway, "limp and unresponsive".

His dad found him collapsed in the hallway, "limp and unresponsive" Credit: Matthew Griffin

After being rushed to Worcestershire Royal Hospital it was revealed that Matthew had contracted deadly disease bacterial meningitis.

When he awoke three days after his 21st birthday, the student thought he was hallucinating.

Matthew awoke three days after his 21st birthday. Credit: Matthew Griffin

Now the 21-year-old wants to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of meningitis.

Teenagers and university students in particular are at an increased risk of contracting the disease.

The bacteria that cause the disease is usually spread by coughing, sneezing and kissing.

Up until the age of 25 young people are eligible for the MenACWY vaccine.

The NHS outlines the main signs and symptoms of meningitis:

  • fever

  • very bad headache

  • vomiting

  • stiff neck

  • dislike of bright lights

  • rash

  • confusion, delirium

  • severe sleepiness, losing consciousness

  • seizures

More information can be found here.