1. ITV Report

Leicestershire biker permanently blinded in one eye after being hit by egg from oncoming car

Marc will never see from his right eye again Credit: BPM media

WARNING: The following article contains graphic images

A motorcyclist from Leicestershire says he could easily have been killed after an egg thrown from an oncoming car smashed into his right eye.

Marc Toone from Wigston underwent almost seven hours of surgery to try, unsuccessfully, to save the sight in the eye after the incident late on Friday night (January 10th).

The 31-year-old head chef at The Yews pub restaurant in Great Glen had the visor of his helmet up when the egg was thrown in Newton Lane at 11.15pm.

Marc has been left blind in one eye after the attack Credit: BPM Media

Marc says he had his visor up because the cold temperature was causing the glass to mist up.

He says he didn't initially realise the extent of his injuries until he pulled over.

I felt something hit my eye, but carried on. It felt wet on my cheek and chin and on the inside of my jacket. I managed to pull over and shone a torch on my hand and it was covered in blood where I had been wiping my eye.

– Marc Toone

Marc has undergone two operations at Leicester Royal Infirmary to remove tiny fragments of eggshell from his eye.

He was later told by surgeons that they had been unable to save his right eye.

Marc now faces an anxious wait to find out whether he will be allowed to continue working for his current employer.

His plans to get married may also have to get pushed back.

My son is distraught. To most kids their dad is their hero. For him to see me in that state was enough to shatter anybody. The people who do these stupid things need to realise the impact on their victim and their family and what they have to put up with for the rest of their lives.

– Marc Toone

A 17-year-old , arrested in Staffordshire on Saturday on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm, has since been released on police bail.

On Monday Leicestershire Police said that it had received a number of calls from members of the public since Friday's incident, reporting they had been targeted in a similar fashion, in the Wigston and Market Harborough areas.

The investigation into Friday’s incident remains ongoing and officers continue to appeal to anyone with any information to make contact.