Double child killer Colin Pitchfork is set to be freed from prison, despite the Government challenging the Parole Board's decision.
Pitchfork, now in his 60s, was jailed for life after raping and strangling 15-year-olds Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth in Leicestershire in the 1980s.
He became the first man convicted of murder on the basis of DNA evidence in 1988 after admitting two murders, two rapes, two indecent assaults.
Pitchfork was denied release in 2016 and 2018 but following a hearing in March, the Parole Board ruled he was "suitable for release".
Last month Justice Secretary Robert Buckland asked the board, which is independent of the Government, to re-examine the decision. On Tuesday the Parole Board announced the application had been "refused".
A spokesman said in a statement: "Parole Board panels are bound by law to assess whether a prisoner is safe to release. It has no power to alter the original sentence set down by the courts. Legislation dictates that a panel's decision must be solely focused on what risk a prisoner may pose on release and whether that risk can be managed in the community."
"As made clear in the reconsideration decision, release was supported by all of the Secretary of State's witnesses during Mr Pitchfork's review."
Alberto Costa, the MP for South Leicestershire says he is "disappointed" by the decision of the Parole Board.