Man who drowned in toxic pig feed died just 15 days before his son was born

Nathan Walker's father and Gavin Rawson's brother spoke to ITV News Central outside Leicester Crown Court

A man who drowned while cleaning out a tanker of toxic pig feed was about to become a dad.

Nathan Walker, who was 19, was expecting a baby with his partner when he died along with Gavin Rawson, 35, while working at a food waste plant in Leicestershire.

Gavin Rawson (L) Nathan Walker (R) Credit: Leicestershire Police

The firm which employed the men, Greenfeeds Ltd, was found guilty of corporate manslaughter and today fined £2 million. The bosses received sentences ranging from 13 years imprisonment to a one year suspended sentence.

Adrian Walker said: "Nathan was expecting his first child with his partner when he died.

"His son was born 15 days after his death.

"Nathan was so excited about becoming a dad - he should of been here to see his son born.

"He should be here now."

Nathan Walker and Gavin Rawson died in December 2016 at the site in Normanton.

It was three days before Christmas when they both got into difficulty while cleaning out a tanker containing semi-liquid pig feed.

Both men were pulled from the tanker after a saw was used to cut holes in its side.

Emergency services were called to the scene and they tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate the men.

Gavin Rawson

Mr Rawson's brother told ITV Central today that Gavin had been known in the family as "Mr Chatterbox".

"Gavin was a kind, loving, and thoughtful person," he said.

"He was always having fun, and making people laugh. He was very popular, and loved. His character was unique, funny, and entertaining.

"We'd call him Mr Chatterbox."

Detective Constable says the two men had "their whole lives ahead of them."

After the conclusion of sentencing, Detective Constable Kirsty Iqbal, who investigated the case, described the two men as having died with "their whole lives ahead of them".

"They should have been looked after," she said.

"Instead, investigation showed that the system which was used to clean out the tankers at Greenfeeds Ltd was so fundamentally dangerous that fatally consequences were almost certain."

"Their deaths should never have been allowed to happen."