Third arrest after footballer Cody Fisher, 23, stabbed to death in Birmingham nightclub

Seven people are now in custody following the Boxing day nightclub killing.

A third man has been arrested on suspicion of the murdering footballer Cody Fisher, who was stabbed in a nightclub in Birmingham on Boxing day.

The 22-year-old man was detained in London today following the death of the 23-year-old and will face questioning.

The nightclub, Crane - where the incident happened - could face being shut down, amid a scene of “chaos and evidence of drug use” on the dance floor in Digbeth, Birmingham.

Police have applied to Birmingham City Council for the Crane nightclub's license to be reviewed.

Licensing officers are also asking for immediate measures to be put in place to ensure public safety in the city. The hearing is due to take place tomorrow.

Cody's friends have visited the scene of the incident today to lay flowers and pay tribute to him.

Joe Cairns, a footballer who played with Cody at Walsall Football Club for three years and described him as 'the best'.

He said: "He was just the nicest kid ever, he was just so funny.

"He was loyal to everyone who was close to him. He was just the best. I can't even begin to process it yet. It still hasn't even sunk in at all."

Joe Cairns, who played with Cody Fisher at Walsall Football Club for three years, says they're all still in shock.

Four other people have also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. Two were arrested in London yesterday, and the others were held this morning.

Cody Fisher, 23, was stabbed to death on the dance floor of the Crane nightclub on Adderley Street, Digbeth just before midnight on Boxing day.

A post-mortem examination held yesterday confirmed Mr Fisher had died of a stab wound. A knife has been recovered as part of the investigation.

Police continue to appeal for anyone who saw or recorded what happened to get in touch.

In a statement, DCI Ian Ingram, leading the investigation, said today: “We now have seven people in custody and continue to build a picture of the events that led to the tragic loss of this young man’s life.

Cory's heartbroken family have paid tribute to their "best friend" after he was killed while out celebrating with friends.

“People are continuing to come forward with information, but I still want to hear from anyone who has not yet got in touch with us.

“If you have footage that we have not yet seen, or you know what may have happened in the lead up to Boxing Day’s awful events, I’d urge you to do the right thing and speak to us right now.

“We are determined to get answers and justice for Cody’s friends and family, and won’t stop until that happens.

“We are keeping them updated with developments as they happen, and continue to support them through this awful time.”

A planned event on New Year's Eve has also been cancelled by the venue.

Police have confirmed they will continue to work with other venues in Birmingham to ensure the safety of people at bars and clubs in the city.