Police tried to revive Wolverhampton machete attack victim Shawn Seesahai, murder trial jury told

Shawn Seesahai, 19, was found in a critical condition by emergency services and was pronounced dead at the scene. Credit: West Midlands Police / PA Images

Police made repeated attempts to resuscitate a teenager who'd been attacked with a machete in Wolverhampton, a murder trial jury has been told.

Two boys, both aged 12, are accused of murdering Shawn Seesahai, 19, on Stowlawn playing fields on 13 November last year.

The defendants, whose identities are protected by a court order, are on trial at Nottingham Crown Court where both deny murdering Mr Seesahai.

One denies and the other admits possession of a machete at the scene.

The third week of prosecution evidence against the boys included a list of agreed facts presented to the court by prosecutor Michelle Heeley KC.

Floral tributes left at the scene at Stowlawn playing fields in Wolverhampton where Shawn Seesahai died on November 13 last year Credit: Matthew Cooper/PA

Mr Seesahai suffered a skull fracture and a fatal 23cm deep wound, which passed almost all the way through his body.

Addressing the jury on Monday 13 May, Ms Heeley told jurors that two police constables were directed to attend the scene after reports of a stabbing.

When they arrived, Ms Heeley said, they saw an ambulance parking, and one officer spoke to a young female at the scene who told him the victim was “lying in the middle of the field”.

Ms Heeley continued: “He then started to run towards Shawn Seesahai, who was lying on his back in the field.

“When he got to Shawn Seesahai he saw that his eyes were wide open but looked glazed.”

After touching Mr Seesahai to check if he was breathing, the officer started to perform CPR, the court heard.

Ms Heeley said: “He was then asked to stop by West Midlands Ambulance Service so that they could identify the site of the wound. He then continued CPR as did other police officers who attended the scene.

“Throughout the time they were there Shawn Seesahai did not breathe, and their resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. At 21.11 life was pronounced extinct.”

One of the boys was arrested on suspicion of murder at 9.30pm the next day at his home while watching television, the trial was told.

A machete was found in his bedroom inside the bed frame, along with a hoodie and jogging bottoms allegedly worn by the youth mixed up with clothing in a laundry basket.

The trial continues on Tuesday, when the Crown is expected to close its case.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...