Live updates



Graveyard sex attacker jailed for fifteen years

Michael Ware was jailed for fifteen years. Credit: West Midlands Police

A man who held a gun to the head of a teenager before raping her in a Birmingham grave yard has been jailed.

Twenty three-year-old Michael Ware, 23, from Northfield was sentenced to fifteen years at Birmingham Crown Court after pleading guilty to the assault.

Ware had followed his 19 year-old victim from Kings Norton railway station on the evening of 6th December last year.

He threatened her with the imitation firearm on Back Road, Kings Norton and forced her into church grounds nearby.

During the attack, the woman managed to grab the gun from Ware and used this as her chance to escape.

When officers combed the crime scene for clues they found a damaged mobile phone that was traced back to Ware.

This must have been a terrifying ordeal for her and we would like to commend her for her bravery. "She had the presence of mind to pick up the gun that had been placed on the floor and used this as her means to escape."

"Ware planned the attack and we are convinced that he would have carried on offending, the fact that he was caught following another potential victim proves this."

– Inspector Ian Ingram, Birmingham’s Public Protection Unit

He was arrested a few days later after a neighbourhood police officer spotted him following a woman from Kings Norton train station.He matched the description circulated to officers following the assault and when stopped and searched was found be armed with a knife.

Ware received 15 years for four counts of sexual assault and rape, seven years for possession of an imitation firearm and one year for possession of a bladed article ? to run concurrently.

He will also be placed on the sex offender register for life.

Sixteen-year-old charged over bullying video

West Midlands Police Credit: IAN NICHOLSON/PA Archive/Press Association Images

A 16-year-old girl will appear in court later today to hear claims she assaulted two schoolgirls in Northfield on Saturday night.

The alleged attack was caught on camera and has since been widely posted on social media sites over the last two days.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with robbery and assault and will appear at Birmingham Youth Court later today. She was remanded in custody last night after being charged.

Police have warned members of the public to remove the video from their social media accounts, now that a suspect has been charged and out of respect for the victims.

They have also reminded social media users that naming the teenager online would jeopardise court proceedings.

Fire service free schoolboys stuck in child swing

Firefighters had to cut two secondary schoolboys free after they got stuck in a child's swing in a play area.

A crew from Northfield Community Fire Station went to the Victoria Park play area on Tuesday 16 June.

The boys were stuck in the swing for about an hour Credit: Facebook/Northfield Community Fire Station

A picture posted on the station's Facebook page showed two children stuck in a swing with bars to stop smaller children from falling out.

The post on social media also said the firefighters used cutting gear to free the boys, with the only injuries being "a bit of bruised pride".

Load more updates