- Beer tax (duty plus VAT) per pub: £66,500
- Average price of a pint of beer: £3.17
- Duty on 5% pint of beer: 55p
- Beer duty increase since March 2008: 42%
- French beer tax on 5% pint of beer: 6p
- German beer tax on 5% pint of beer 4p
Source: Funfair Brewing Company
The number of pubs going bust is rising because of tax increases on beer. That's what industry experts have told the Government.
Newark MP Patrick Mercer will be speaking in a parliamentary debate today on the Government's controversial "beer tax escalator" policy.