Smethwick fire explained

Firefighters are advising recycling plants on how to store rubbish to prevent fires. It comes just two weeks after the biggest fire the West Midlands has ever seen. A Chinese lantern landed on thousands of tonnes of rubbish at a centre in Smethwick.

View all 64 updates ›

CCTV indicates Smethwick blaze was caused by Chinese lantern

The Chief Fire Officer for the West Midlands Fire Service, Vij Randeniya, has announced that the Smethwick blaze was caused by a Chinese lantern landing on recycling material.

The lantern, which is yet to be investigated by West Midlands Fire Service, was caught on CCTV hovering over the plant on Dartmouth Road.

More on this story