Ahead of the launch of their new campaign to highlight the dangers animals and those trying to protect them face, the RSPCA have released some examples of the cases and violence faced by RSPCA inspectors over the past two years.
Cases of animals suffering brutal attacks included:
- A dog beaten with a pole, causing 30 fractures
- A swan shot with a crossbow
- A cat beaten against a tree
- A three-week-old lamb with its ears cut off
- A lurcher stamped on, run over and stabbed with a potato peeler
- A bird shot with a blowgun dart through his eye
- A mouse tortured with a power tool
Staff investigating violence on animals were threatened with:
- A claw hammer
- A knife
- A crossbow
- A shotgun
- A machete
- Death threats
- Read more: RSPCA's anti-cruelty heroes
More top news
A dry, bright day, and while there will often be large amounts of cloud, there will be some sunny spells. Breezy all day, windy over hills.
Dry with bright spells, especially in the east, but generally more cloudy to the west. Windy, with gales continuing on the Derbyshire hills.
On our political show we tackle the Brexit effect in the Midlands - looking at a rise in hate crime and the car industry's demands.