Advertisement

Family escape house fire after putting fireworks in recycling bin

The national strike by firefighters ends at 6pm on Tuesday Credit: Phil Noble/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Firefighters in Shropshire say a family are lucky after their house almost caught fire when fireworks were put into a recycling bin after a party last night.

Crews arrived at the property in Telford within ten minutes and found the recycling bin, which was up against the side of the house, on fire.

Luckily, the fire did not spread to the roof of the property. Firefighters are urging members of the public to make sure fireworks are fully spent before disposing of them. The advices is to leave them in a bucket of water overnight and dispose of them the following day.

“Whilst they may feel cold to the touch on the outside, they may still be smouldering inside.”

– Andy Johnson, Area Manager, Shropshire Fire & Rescue

This incident was one of 16 that Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service has dealt with over the last 24 hours during the 96 hour national strike by firefighters.