A look back at history...
First post office introduced on island
'Penny postage' brought explosion in use of postal service
First 'pillar boxes' introduced in British Isles in Jersey
Green was authorised as official post box colour
Red stipulated as official colour
Wall boxes introduced as cheaper than pillar boxes
In 1890 there were 26 receiving offices, pillar and wall boxes in St Helier. There were also 12 sub-offices and 20 letter boxes 'in the country'.
Pillar boxes were reintroduced in the reign of Elizabeth II.
The use of the Royal mark is one of the most noticeable aspects of a post box, and boxes bearing the marks of five monarchs are to be found in Jersey. On 1st December 1952, one of the first boxes to bear the EiiR cipher was unveiled in St Helier, on the site of one of the first pillar boxes.