Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Parents in Channel Islands warned about the dangers of cheap Halloween costumes

Channel Island parents are being warned about the dangers of cheap Halloween costumes as they could be a fire risk.

Fire officers in Jersey say if many of the outfits available caught alight a child could be seriously hurt within seconds.

The potential dangers of some outfits were highlighted last year when TV presenter Claudia Winkleman's daughter was badly burned after her fancy dress caught fire on a candle.

Jersey Fire and Rescue Service say children need to be careful around Pumpkins when trick or treating.

With Halloween just days away, Trading Standards and child accident prevention experts in Jersey are carrying out random spot checks on the potentially dangerous party costumes. They say when buying costumes, parents shouldn't take any risks.

Here are some of the things they say to avoid when buying a costume:

  • Beware of anything on it which could easily trail and catch alight such as tassels and capes
  • Buy costumes made of one type of material rather than layers
  • Costumes made of cotton and cotton/ polyester blends can be the most flammable
  • Polyester and nylon are flame-resistant materials - but they can still melt near fire
  • Wear clothes under the costume such as jeans and a woollen jumper to give some protection to the skin if a costume were to catch fire