Today marks the centenary of the Battle of Les Rues Vertes, a battle which would change the history of Guernsey forever.
On this French street in the Great War, the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry defended the Allied line in Cambrai, a French town near to the Belgian border.
A memorial made out of Guernsey granite was unveiled today in front of the island's Lieutenant Governor and Bailiff, as well as local French dignitaries.
On the morning of 30th November 1917, the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry had taken up positions in Masnieres and Les Rues Vertes. By 8:30am the men could see German troops advancing from the east in solid blocks. By evening, they were surrounded on three sides.
Come nightfall on 1st December, the RGLI had to be withdrawn to the west of Les Rues Vertes. Their losses, of over 40%, would mean that the RGLI would never again be made of more than 50% native born Guernsey men.
WATCH: Charlie Frost's full coverage of the centenary event.