A man from Jersey has been jailed for seven years after attacking a mother and daughter in the UK while on day release from a psychiatric unit.

47-year-old Andy Johnson, also known as Andrew Le Feuvre and Andrew Hannam, was granted unsupervised leave from the Bethlem Royal Hospital in Beckenham, south London, on 2 February 2018 - a decision approved by the Ministry of Justice.

Johnson, a former soldier who served with the Royal Hampshire Regiment before he was discharged on medical grounds, broke the curfew. After drinking at a pub and taking the drug spice, he was travelling on a bus back to the hospital when he got off to follow a woman and her 13-year-old daughter as they made their way home.

The girl spotted Johnson as she and her mother had arrived back at their house. Johnson forced his way in, warning the mother "Do as I say and you won't get hurt". The pair begin to scream, alerting the girl's father who was in the house. He confronted Johnson, chasing him out while his partner called the police.

Johnson was born in Salisbury and brought up in children's homes in Jersey and claims to have suffered sexual abuse during his childhood.

He was charged with, and later admitted, trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence and was jailed for seven years. He will remain on licence after he has served his sentence.

Johnson has 52 previous convictions, including:

  • 24 September 1996 - Convicted of indecent assault of a six-year-old at a hotel in Jersey.

  • 12 November 1999 - Johnson was convicted after pretending to be a policeman to get into a woman's flat in south London, raping her and attempting to rape her 10-year-old daughter. He was given a life sentence.

  • 21 January 2016 - Johnson was convicted of indecent assault and attempted rape dating back to February 1995 in Jersey. Advances in DNA profiling resulted in the conviction. He was sentenced to six and a half years in prison.

Johnson had been sent to maximum-security Broadmoor after his conviction in 1999. In 2012, he was transferred to Bethlem Hospital because doctors thought he was getting better.

The doctor who made the decision to grant day release for Johnson in February said he was completing programmes on his personality disorder and substance abuse. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Justice said:

Restricted patients may be allowed temporarily into the community at the request of a doctor and only after an extremely tough risk assessment.

Ministry of Justice spokesperson