Jersey family saved by smoke alarm

States of Jersey Fire & Rescue Service Credit: ITV Channel TV

A family's smoke detector saved them from further damage in the early hours of this morning, after a fire broke out in their airing cupboard.

The fire had started with a faulty electrical switch in the cupboard. It set fire to folded bedding and wooden slatted shelving.

The homeowner was able to dowse the flames and put the fire out before fire crews got to the home in St Clement, Jersey.

Jersey Fire & Rescue Crew Commander, John Le Cornu said it proves how important a working smoke alarm is.