Dog owners in Jersey are being asked to keep their dogs under control after a dog killed a sea bird while it was off the lead last month.
Experts say more needs to be done to protect migratory birds in Jersey as their numbers are in decline.
If you own or are walking a dog, you should:
- give birds that are feeding or resting plenty of space
- control your animal so that it does not disturb or scare wild birds
- keep all dogs under control even when off the lead
- never allow or encourage dogs to chase birds
- keep noise levels low around sea birds
Some of the more vulnerable birds to dog attacks include Brent Geese which breed in Arctic Canada and migrate to Jersey, black-headed gulls, sandlings and the redshank.
Dog walkers are being reminded of their responsibilities between 1 October and 30 April when dogs are legally allowed to be off the lead on beaches.