More than £350,000 has been stolen from people in Jersey in 2019 through romance fraud and catfishing scams.
Scammers are said to be targeting islanders through online dating websites, luring vulnerable people in by fake profiles. The victims are then targeted for their money.
- Tips to spot a potential 'catfish':
- They ask for money soon after you start speaking. This could be so they can visit you.
- They have a low number of Facebook friends, or parts of their profile do not match up.
- Avoiding face-to-face contact, over video calls.
- Trust your instinct, if something does not feel right it might not be.