Live updates

Fire in St Helier apartment

The damage after a kitchen hob caught fire in an apartment in St Helier

Eight firefighters were called to an apartment in St Helier this morning after a kitchen set ablaze.

Two fire engines arrived at the scene at 10am after reports of smoke coming from the building.

The fire appeared to have been started accidentally, by the hob being switched on unintentionally.

It then set fire to a plastic tray and other items left on the cooker top.

No-one were injured and the damage was limited to the kitchen.

Advertisement

Is there an arsonist in Jersey?

Credit: Jersey Fire & Rescue Service

Jersey's police force and fire service are investigating a spate of recent fires which may be connected.

They describe the fires as "suspicious", and predominantly in the west of the island, the most recent being in the early hours of last Saturday morning near Les Landes.

Three fire engines and a water carrier were called to the scene.

Jersey Police are asking islanders to look out for any suspicious behaviour or activity and to report it to them.

You can call 01534 612612 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Whilst it is acknowledged, especially during the summer months, that some outdoor activities carry an increased fire risk, the concentrated location and similar circumstances of these particular fires are such that we are concerned as to their cause. Any information that the public may have will be gratefully received.

– Chief Inspector Chris Beechey

Emergency services stood down after small fire

Jersey Fire and Rescue Credit: Jersey Fire and Rescue

The emergency services were called to an incident in St Clement, which turned out to have been caused by a cooker top fire.

There are reports five police vehicles, three fire engines and two ambulances attended the small fire, in the high rise blocks at Le Marais.

The Fire and Rescue Service have explained the large response to what turned out to be a small fire.

They say that any incidents reported at high rise buildings need a swift response, because serious fires can quickly become very dangerous.

Advertisement

Jersey's fire service 'stretched to their limit'

A man was rescued unconscious from a fire in St Helier in the early hours of this morning, which led to 30 people being evacuated from their homes.

He's now receiving treatment in hospital.

And the service also dealt with a chimney fire, in what was a busy evening for them:

Homes evacuated after flat fire

Picture courtesy of Jersey Fire & Rescue

30 people had to evacuate their homes last night after fire broke out in a block of flats on St Saviou'rs Road around 12:30 this morning.

Fire crews found one person unconscious in the building, they are now receiving hospital treatment.

It is thought the fire started from cooking being left unattended.

The alarm was raised after residents of surrounding flats heard a smoke detector sounding.

It was a busy night for the Fire Service, there was also a call out to a chimney fire at Beaumont.

Fire crews blame faulty electrics for First Tower blaze

Credit: States of Jersey Fire & Rescue

Firefighters called to battle a blaze at a First Tower flat think a faulty electrical extension lead was to blame.

When crews from White Watch arrived at the scene, they were faced with flames and smoke billowing from a ground floor window.

Credit: States of Jersey Fire & Rescue

They put out the fire from outside the building and then went in, wearing protective breathing gear, to make sure no one was inside and all the flames were dampened.

The flat has been severely smoke damaged, but officers say as the door to the room on fire was closed, most of the damage was contained.

The crews had just finished their annual breathing apparatus refresher course when they were called to attend the fire.