Stockport X Factor stalker found guilty

X Factor winner Joe McElderry Credit: PA

A man accused of stalking X Factor winner Joe McElderry and his mother was convicted of harassment today.

X Factor winner Joe McElderry told a court today that he was left feeling scared and intimidated by a man accused of stalking him and his mother.

The pop singer attended South Tyneside Magistrates' Court today to give evidence in the trial of Ennis McBride, who denies a charge of harassment.

The court heard that McBride, 52, from Stockport, turned up at McElderry's house on more than one occasion and sent him abusive tweets.

It was said that on 11 September 2011 McBride knocked on McElderry's front door while he was having a bath. A friend answered the door and said he was not available. McBride then went round to the singer's old house and spoke to McElderry's mother, Eileen Joyce, and accused Joe of being a liar.

Describing the incident, McElderry said: "I was feeling quite shaken and confused, and a bit creeped out.

"My mum sounded very alarmed and distressed and told me to lock the doors."

Then on 24 December 2011 the court heard that Ms Joyce saw McBride in Asda and later that day he was arrested at their home.

McElderry said: "My mum rang and said the stalker is back and he's in Asda.

"She sounded really upset but she was more concerned where I was and if I was with anyone.

"After that I went and locked the door. "We spent the evening writing out our statement when suddenly a police van pulled up and he was put into the van.

"I felt intimidated that someone would be standing in the dark outside my house and scared because it was Christmas Eve and it was the last thing I wanted to think about.

"I understand that I'm on the public platform and I appreciate the support I get but I don't think I should be made to feel unsafe in my own home."

District Judge Roger Elsey said of McBride: "He has given evidence but has not been a compelling witness and lacked credibility.

"He totally lacked insight into the impact of his actions on the complainants."

The judge fined him £1,000 and ordered him to pay £915 costs.

McBride was subject to a five-year restraining order preventing him from contacting the singer or his mother.