A 14-year-old girl was killed by fumes from a barbecue placed inside a tent to keep her warm during a family camping trip, an inquest has heard.
Shropshire Coroner's Court heard that Hannah Thomas-Jones succumbed to the "silent killer" of carbon monoxide poisoning after gases from the barbecue collected in the area where she was sleeping.
Hannah, from Handforth, near Wilmslow, Cheshire, was pronounced dead in May last year after paramedics were called to a campsite in Bucknell, south Shropshire.
Three other family members, including Hannah's mother and stepfather, were treated in hospital for the effects of carbon monoxide produced by the embers of the bucket-type barbecue.
The inquest in Wem, Shropshire, heard that family members took precautions to guard against an accidental fire when they moved the barbecue into the porch of the tent, but were unaware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Coroner John Ellery recorded a verdict of accidental death.
After recording his verdict, Mr Ellery offered his condolences to Hannah's family, and expressed hopes that the inquest would serve the secondary function of raising awareness of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.