1. ITV Report

Man found guilty of knifing stranger to death

Kieran Crump Raiswell Photo:

A "sniggering" assassin has been found guilty of the murder of a teenage gap-year student who he randomly stabbed in the street in broad daylight.

Kieran Crump-Raiswell, 18, was heading to look for a job when Imran Hussain, 27, walked up to him and "without warning" stabbed him four times in the chest.

Witnesses to the shocking scene in Whalley Range, Manchester, said Hussain was "sniggering" and "laughing" as he ran to his car and drove off.

Hussain, of Tilehurst Lane, Bracknell, had denied murder but admitted manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility following evidence that it was "highly likely" he is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

But a jury at Manchester Crown Court rejected his defence and agreed with prosecutors that at the time he "simply wanted to see what it's like to kill someone".

The killing was the second of two street assaults committed by the defendant on total strangers within 12 days in January.

Mature student Hussain, from Bracknell, Berkshire, drove from his student flat in Coventry on January 4 and punched a man in the face in Nottingham and ran off.

His victim made a note of his vehicle registration number and spoke to police soon after but he remained undetected when on January 16 he travelled to Manchester.

In his opening speech, Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, said: "It is the prosecution case that on this occasion, fortified by the apparent ease at which a stranger could be attacked, this time he travelled to Manchester armed with a knife and intending to kill someone."

Hussain drove around Whalley Range and Chorlton in the early afternoon for around a hour as he looked for a "suitable victim", the lawyer said.

He parked up and then attacked the teenager as he walked near to a bus stop in Upper Chorlton Road, he added.

Mr Wright said the defendant initially denied involvement in either of the incidents when he was arrested days later, but he "changed his tune" when the evidence against him began to unravel.

He said Hussain went on to claim he had been hearing "threatening and abusive voices" and that he travelled to the two cities to confront them.

Mr Wright suggested that Hussain's medical defence was "contrived by him as a last resort that only arose once he realised it could be proved he was the culprit".

At the time of his death, Mr Crump-Raiswell lived with his parents Roland and Christine and his younger siblings in the Chorlton area.

He had obtained a place at Sheffield Hallam University to read history and was due to commence his degree course in September this year.

The defendant was studying engineering at the University of Coventry and lived in rented accommodation in Barras Lane, Coventry.

His family was from Bracknell and ran a restaurant business, the court heard.

Mr Wright said Mr Crump-Raiswell had left his home to walk into Manchester on the day of his death.

He had packed his passport and CV into his rucksack as he planned to try and get a job.

Mr Wright told the jury that several relevant Google searches in January were later discovered on Hussain's laptop, and he had looked up driving directions from Birmingham to Manchester and Stretford.

Google map searches were also keyed in for Reading, Dunstable, Lincoln and Nottingham, with the internet history later deleted, he added.

The defendant had initially studied business at the University of Westminster but was excluded after failing course modules, the court heard.

He was in the second year of an undergraduate course in electrical systems engineering at the University of Coventry at the beginning of this year.

Investigations had failed to identify anyone who socialised with him there, Mr Wright said.

He was described as being "quiet" and "isolated" by students.