Almost 40 areas in the North West have been offered as sites to explore for shale gas fracking.
Of the offered areas there are:
- Eight new blocks in Cheshire - from Nantwich to Knutsford
- Seven in Greater Manchester including Rochdale Wigan and Altrincham
- Two in Sefton which includes Formby whose coastline is an area of special conservation
- Eight blocks across Lancashire from Ormskirk to Burnley, including the Trough of Bowland AONB
- Three in Cumbria including Barrow and Dalton in Furness