Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool are not in talks with Barcelona over Philippe Coutinho

Liverpool manager has dismissed Barcelona claims that a deal for Coutinho is close to completion. Credit: PA

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has dismissed Barcelona claims that a deal for wantaway playmaker Philippe Coutinho is close to completion.

The club have rejected two bids from Barcelona, the last 100million euros (£90.9m), and a week ago issued a defiant statement insisting no offers would be considered and the player would remain at the club beyond the summer window.

Coutinho, who is currently sidelined with a back injury, immediately handed in a transfer request and after Wednesday night's Spanish Super Cup defeat to Real Madrid Pep Segura, Liverpool's former academy technical manager and now Barcelona's general manager, told Catalan television station TV3: "We are close to Coutinho and (Ousmane) Dembele.

"We are discussing their deals but do not know when it will be done." Asked if he expected them to sign, he added: "Yes, we expect it."

However, Klopp is adamant there have been no more developments and the two clubs are not even in discussions.

Asked whether there had been any subsequent talks Klopp added: "I am not sure I have to answer this only because we have said what we have to say, or the club said what we have to say.

"No news from me because no-one told me anything different since we spoke last time about this."

There have been suggestions Coutinho could agitate for a move by effectively going on strike but while he is still injured that is impossible.

Klopp was asked about the prospect of this and the Brazil international's general attitude.