1. ITV Report

What to do if you've been affected by flooding


You’ll need to provide:

  • The address you’re registering, a phone number you can be contacted on day or night, and an email address. The service is free. You can get warnings by phone, email or text message. (more information)
  • Flood Recovery GrantsIf your house or business was affected by the recent floods then find out what funding is available.
  • SandbagsYour district council may provide sandbags at times of flooding. Please check with your own council to find out what their policy is and how you can get access to sandbags before flooding starts. You can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores or builders merchants. In an emergency you can use alternatives such as pillow cases or refuse sacks and fill them with garden soil.
  • You can find out more about sandbags and how to use them for flood protection from the Environment Agency.
  • Pumping out waterYou can ask your local Fire and Rescue Service for help pumping out water but you may be charged a fee.
  • You may need an environmental permit to pump water from your property yourself. Before you do anything, check with: