Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Couple's shock as they find a three-foot snake hiding in their oven

The RSPCA said it was lucky the couple hadn't pre-heated the oven. Credit: RSPCA

An elderly couple got "the shock of their lives" after finding a three-foot snake hiding inside their oven.

The pair were trying to cook oven chips where they made the discovery and called the RSPCA.

RSPCA inspector Andy Harris managed to hook the snake out of the couple's oven and into a bag.

He said he was surprised to find such a big reptile:

It's thought the African brown snake - which is not venomous species - is an escaped or abandoned pet.

It's likely he came into the back of the oven through the gas jet hole, attracted by the warmth.

It was lucky the couple didn’t pre-heat the oven first.

– Inspector Andy Harris

The 82-year-old woman, who does not want to be named, said: “When I opened the oven door and saw it I got the shock of my life. I have recently had a cataract operation and was wondering if my eyes were deceiving me - but my husband saw it too."

The snake is now being cared for by a reptile keeper. Credit: RSPCA

We are big animal lovers and just wanted to make sure the snake was safe so we were pleased that he was rescued by the RSPCA.

I gave the inspector a big hug and a cup of tea afterwards but I went off the idea of oven chips so sent my husband to the Fish and Chip shop instead.

– Homeowner

It is not known if the snake is male or female at this stage so it has been given the unisex name Sammy by a reptile keeper who will now care for the snake.