An inquest jury has concluded that a teenager who collapsed whilst being restrained at Liverpool One shopping centre died from 'natural causes'.

Mzee Mohammed Daley was captured on camera and mobile phone footage carrying a knife and behaving erratically at the Liverpool One shopping centre.

He was being restrained by security staff and police when he collapsed and died.

The jury concluded that he died as a result of cardio respiratory arrest, due to suffering an acute psychotic episode and prolonged physical exertion.

Mzee's family had complained to The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) about the way he had been restrained by Merseyside Police.

The IOPC's Regional Director, Amanda Rowe, said: "Mzee’s family and friends have suffered greatly since his tragic death.

"I have seen the footage of Mzee on the day he passed away; it is difficult to watch, and I cannot comprehend how painful this must have been for his loved ones.

"On behalf of the IOPC I offer our sincere condolences for their loss.

“Today we published a detailed report which reflects our robust investigation; we looked very carefully at how and why Mzee was restrained.

"The evidence we gathered did not indicate that any officer committed a criminal offence or behaved in a manner that would justify the bringing of disciplinary proceedings.

"We concluded that the decision to restrain him was based on a number of risk factors and this complied with guidance, policy and training."

Our reporter Elaine Wilcox is at the inquest at Liverpool Crown Court.

Merseyside Police, Assistant Chief Constable, Jon Roy said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Mzee Mohammed Daley and everyone who was affected by his tragic death on July 13, 2016.

"On behalf of Merseyside Police I would like to offer our sincere condolences for their loss.

"Police officers who are called to deal with an emergency situation always have the safety and welfare of all members of the public as their primary concern.

"Merseyside Police officers who attended Liverpool One on 13th July 2016 were responding to reports of a male who, through his erratic behaviour, was causing concern for public safety.

"The officers acted with professionalism, compassion and in accordance with their training."