Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Primary school in Buxton to remain closed after confirmed case of coronavirus

Burbage Primary School. Credit: ITV News.

A primary school in Buxton will remain closed today, after a parent of a pupil at the school returned from a trip to Tenerife with coronavirus.

It brings the total number of confirmed cases in the UK to 16 after the first case of coronavirus was diagnosed in Northern Ireland and two in England, including the case in Buxton.

The two patients in England were transferred to specialist NHS infection centres after contracting the virus in Italy and Tenerife.

The cases were confirmed after parents of pupils at Burbage Primary School in Buxton, Derbyshire, were told the school would be closed on Thursday due to a "confirmed case of coronavirus amongst our parent population".

Burbage Primary School, in Buxton, which has 350 pupils, sent a message to parents via WhatsApp on Wednesday night saying the decision had been taken as a "precautionary measure and to enable a deep clean to be completed".

The parent who tested positive for the virus is understood to have caught the disease whilst on holiday in Tenerife.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

We have a confirmed case of Coronavirus – we are liaising with Public Health England and the CCG to ensure all appropriate actions are taken including deep cleaning.

We have been advised to close the practice today and at the moment we don’t know how long the practice will be closed for.

Please don’t attend the surgery, if you need essential medical care today please phone 111 from your home or attend Accident and Emergency.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and we’re working to get this situation resolved as soon as possible.

– Drs Doig, Haddon, Phillips and Miller

Just a quick update to say we have talked to Public Health England and their advice is that we should be able to open tomorrow after a deep clean today. We are also advised that there is currently no need for additional testing for patients or staff. Thank you for your patience.

– Buxton Medical Practice via Facebook

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with one of the latest confirmed cases of COVID-19. The case is a resident of Derbyshire and became infected whilst in Tenerife. Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed cases. This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public.

We are aware that Burbage Primary School in Buxton has taken the decision to close today. My team have spoken to the school, assessed the risk and confirmed that there is currently no information to suggest that there is any increased health risk to any pupils or staff at the school and no public health reason to remain closed at the current time.

– Joint Statement Derbyshire County Council and Public Health England

I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and Derbyshire County Council is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Derbyshire are protected.

Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.

If you have recently been to one of the affected countries and are feeling unwell, you should phone the NHS’s 111 helpline for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus

– Joint Statement Derbyshire County Council and Public Health England

Public Health England said that its general advice is not to close schools - a message echoed by Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

Travellers returning to the UK from northern Italy were told they may need to self-isolate as part of measures to stop the spread of illness.

The Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to 10 towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d'Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo'Euganeo).

And officials denied there were any plans to evacuate the Britons at the hotel in Tenerife, instead arranging for written messages to be put under the doors of the rooms of British guests asking them to get in contact.

So far in the UK more than 7,000 people have been tested for the virus and of the 15 to have tested positive, eight have so far been discharged from hospital.

In China, where the virus originated, has reported a total of 78,497 cases, including 2,744 deaths. Outside China, there were 3,651, cases including 50 deaths.

After Brazil confirmed Latin America's first case on Wednesday, the virus has reached every continent except Antarctica.