Liverpool reverse decision to furlough some non-playing staff

Liverpool have reversed their decision to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave and apologised to fans.

On Saturday the club said they were going to apply to the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme, whilst making up the remaining amount of the salary themselves.

The move caused controversy amongst fans and former Liverpool players including Jamie Carragher and Liverpool-City Region Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram.

In a letter to supporters, chief executive Peter Moore said: "We believe we came to the wrong conclusion last week to announce that we intended to apply to the Coronavirus Retention Scheme and furlough staff due to the suspension of the Premier League football calendar, and are truly sorry for that."

He added: "We are therefore committed to finding alternative ways to operate while there are no football matches being played that ensures we are not applying for the government relief scheme.

"We would like to acknowledge the great army of staff and casual workers who work tirelessly to ensure Liverpool is a club that operates to the highest of standards."