Hundreds of people have become homeless during the coronavirus lockdown, the mayor of Greater Manchester has said.
Speaking at a weekly briefing on the region's response to the pandemic on Wednesday, Andy Burnham said 344 people had been recorded as newly homeless and requiring accommodation since the strict restrictions were implemented.
He said the Greater Manchester Combined Authority had helped 1,140 homeless people to be housed safely during the crisis but 115 people were still sleeping rough in the region.
"There are people coming onto the streets through this who perhaps are finding their arrangements, possibly a sofa-surfing arrangement, has broken down.
Mr Burnham said Government funding was only available to provide support for pre-identified homeless people during the pandemic, but those who were newly homeless did not qualify.
He said: "There should be a positive legacy for homelessness coming out of this but if the Government sticks to the position that it's in, that will become more and more difficult to achieve."