Wigan have been granted verbal permission by the English Football League to start their league campaign as planned this weekend despite being in administration.
Latics, who were relegated to Sky Bet League One last season after a 12-point deduction for being placed in administration, are seeking a buyer to secure their long-term future.
An initial deadline for a sale of August 31 was missed, but talks with interested parties are continuing.
Wigan opened their new season with a defeat to Fleetwood in the Carabao Cup last weekend and administrators Begbies Traynor confirmed the club will be able to open their league season at Ipswich on Sunday.
In a statement on the club website, joint administrator Gerald Krasner said: "In a conversation with the EFL on Thursday night I have been verbally informed that we have permission to start the season under the administration."
The Latics later announced the re-signing of veteran defender Danny Fox on a short-term deal.
The 34-year-old made 21 appearances for Wigan following a move from Nottingham Forest in January 2019.
Fox had been training with the club since his original contract expired at the end of the season.
Wigan caretaker boss Leam Richardson said on the club's official website: "Danny has great experience and we have seen how influential he can be for us when he plays, so we're delighted to have him here.
"He's been desperate to come back in and that's a real positive for us. He's been training over the last couple of days and it's good to have him around the squad."