Firefighters spend second day tackling fire at landfill site in Bury

Firefighters tackling the blaze a landfill site.
A section of household waste measuring 150m x 100m started burning at roughly 00.15am on Monday morning Credit: Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue

Fire crews are spending a second day bringing a landfill fire in Bury under control. Crews are putting out the remaining hotspots on Pilsworth Road and local residents are advised to keep windows and doors closed.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) declared a Major Incident at the site on Monday 26 April when a section of household waste around the size of a football pitch caught fire shortly after midnight.

The amount of smoke, along with the location of the incident which is adjacent to Junction 3 of the M66, prompted the declaration, which has now been stood down.

At its height, fire crews from 10 stations were tackling the blaze.

Crews worked throughout the night to suppress the remaining hotspots at the scene, and now only four engines remain onsite.

The site owner, Viridor, also arranged for a helicopter to drop water on the fire.

GM Val Hussain, in charge at the scene, said: "I’m pleased to say that our firefighters’ hard work throughout the night has allowed us to contain this fire and scale back the Major Incident declared."This fire came at the end of a challenging weekend that saw our crews tackle a number of significant incidents across the city-region and assist colleagues in West Yorkshire with a large moorland fire."I cannot fault the professionalism of our firefighters, who have responded to all of these incidents quickly and effectively.

"As a result of that work we have been able to decrease our presence at the site and continue to work hard to bring this to a resolution as soon as possible."

GMFRS crews have been supported at the scene by colleagues from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, who provided a specialist appliance to assist with the operation, and The Salvation Army.

On Monday Firefighters used heavy machinery, hoses and breathing apparatus to direct water onto the burning material.

The smoke plume could be seen for miles and residents were asked to keep their doors and windows close.