Hero bin crew rescue man from burning house

Lee Hewitt, Anthony Hibbert and Stephen Rhodes were doing their rounds in Ashton, Tameside, last week when they noticed smoke pouring out of a house. Credit: MEN Media

Three binmen from Greater Manchester have been hailed heroes after they entered a burning house to rescue a man unable to escape the flames.

Lee Hewitt, Anthony Hibbert and Stephen Rhodes were doing their rounds in Ashton, Tameside, last week when they noticed smoke pouring out of a house.

The crew rushed to the rear of the home to investigate and found the back door had been left ajar.

When the trio pushed it open, they found a man who had collapsed on the floor, suffering from smoke inhalation and struggling to breathe.

The brave trio carried the man to safety, calling the emergency services to alert them to the blaze, before evacuating a family from the house next door.

After being alerted to the incident, three fire engines from Stalybridge, Mossley and Ashton-under-Lyne stations rushed to the scene.

When they got there, they discovered a sofa on the ground floor of the house alight and used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel, and a pop up pool, to extinguish the blaze.

Crews also used a positive pressure ventilation fan, a Honeywell gas detector, and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the flames and check for fire spread.

They spent two hours and thirty five minutes on scene, whilst North West Ambulance Service treated the resident for smoke inhalation.

Mr Nelson added: "If you do come across a fire at home, remember to get out, stay out and call 999 – don't try to tackle the fire yourself."This incident is a reminder that we all need to be careful at home and consider what we can do to keep ourselves safe from fire, such as installing smoke alarms throughout our properties."