Liverpool Explosion: Everything you need to know

The incident sparked a police investigation, several arrests, and the rising of the UK's terror threat level. Credit: PA Images

On Remembrance Sunday 2021, 14 November, an explosive device was detonated outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

The incident sparked a police investigation, several arrests, and resulted in the UK's terror threat level being raised.

What happened during the attack?

Emad Al Swealmeen was picked up by a taxi from the Rutland Avenue area of Liverpool, and asked to be taken to the Liverpool Women's Hospital which was about 10 minutes away.

As the taxi approached the drop-off point at the hospital just before 11am, an explosion occurred from within the car which was quickly engulfed in flames.

A CCTV camera caught the moment the explosion happened.

This video contains distressing images

Who was involved?

Al Swealmeen, the 32-year-old passenger in the taxi, died at the scene, while local taxi driver David Perry managed to escape without any serious injuries. No one else was hurt.

What happened after the attack?

Soon after the explosion on the Sunday, police made three arrests in the Kensington area of Liverpool, with another arrest made the following morning.

Counter Terrorism Police North West said the men - aged 29, 26, 21 and 20 - were arrested under the Terrorism Act in connection with the incident.

On the Monday evening, all four men were released from police custody without charge.

How is the police investigation developing?

Officers investigating the attack have revealed the device was made using homemade explosive and "had ball bearings attached to it", which would have "caused significant injury or death".

Police also found several suspicious packages at a property linked to the investigation.

Who was the bomber?

ITV News understands Al Swealmeen was an asylum seeker from Syria.

Police said they believe Al Swealmeen had lived on Sutcliffe Street and had recently rented the house on Rutland Avenue.

ITV News understands he was an asylum seeker from Syria who had been receiving help from a local asylum charity until as recently as April. It is believed his asylum status was still pending at the time of his death.

What has been said by those who knew him?

A Christian couple who had previously lived with Al Swealmeen described him as a "quiet fellow" who was "usually very deep".

Elizabeth and Malcolm Hitchcott took him into their home in 2017, and said his death was "a waste of a life", but that they were glad he did not kill anyone else.

Who was the taxi driver?

David Perry was praised for his "incredible bravery" by the Prime Minister.

David Perry works for one of the city's largest taxi firms, Delta Taxis.

Following the incident, he was hailed a hero by local MPs and praised by Prime Minister Boris Johnson for his "incredible bravery".

Perry's wife Rachel later posted an emotional paragraph on social media, describing his "lucky escape" as an "utter miracle".

The UK's terror threat

The day after the explosion, the UK's terror threat level was raised to 'severe', meaning an attack is highly likely. This remains in place.