An inquest into the death of mother-of-two Nicola Bulley has opened at Preston Coroner's Court.
Speaking at the inquest Dr James Adeley said: "The family have been informed of the date, time and place of the opening of the inquest and have chosen not to attend for reasons I can quite understand.”
He said remaining evidence gathered by police and the post-mortem examination required "further evaluation" and a full inquest was likely to be held in June, once availability of a Home Office pathologist had been checked.
He said: "This will allow time to collate the facts of the case and allow the experts involved to finalise the findings from investigations that still need to be undertaken."
The inquest was told that the 45-year-old was identified by her dental records.
Speaking at the opening of the inquest into the mother-of-two’s death, senior coroner Dr James Adeley said: "He examined the body that was located in the River Wyre near Rawcliffe Road in St Michael’s on Wyre at 2:15pm on 20 February."
Dr Adeley said the surgeon found restorative work carried out was identical.He added: "I am satisfied on the balance of probabilities, and more, that positive identification has been made."
Ms Bulley’s body was pulled from the River Wyre in Lancashire on Sunday, more than three weeks after she last seen on 27 January.
She had been walking her dog in St Michael’s on Wyre after dropping her daughters, aged six and nine, at school.
In a press conference on Monday, Lancashire Police described the investigation into her disappearance as "hugely complex and highly emotional".
However, it did not address the widespread criticism it had received for releasing some aspects of Ms Bulley’s private life into the public domain.
Police also did not disclose why it took 23 days to find her body in the river.
Ms Bulley’s family said in a statement on Monday that they can let her "rest now" following the discovery of her remains.
The hearing was attended by six members of the press and lasted about five minutes.